Friday, June 22, 2007

June VS Predictions/Hype

1. Black Mask

Clan : CHAOS

Character Used : Law

Achievements

January Top 8 Finish
February Top 8 Finish
April Top 8 Finish
May Top 8 Finish

I've known Ryuji since when he started out in the Tekken 4 days. Back then he used a very solid Jin, and along with Shin and Peter, formed a formidable trio. Nowadays, he seems to have pretty good success with his Law. I think he should have no problem getting another Top 8 finish, but the question is whether he can break into the Top 3 with so many tough competitors this month.

-----

2. Noobkken

Clan : Launch+

Character Used : Bryan, Kazuya, King

When Tekken 5 rolled around, it brought in many new players, and one such player was Noobkken. True to his name he was awful, I think we all played around with him like nothing. Anyway, I took a hiatus from the game and when I came back, he was playing around with me like some B.net pubbie. But from what I observe, Noobkken is devastating in casuals but always falls short during the tournies.

He's definitely a top player, but I think he gets the blackface too easily and that messes up his game badly. I think if he keeps a cool head, and focuses on the game, he'll go really really far. He has the capabilities to win the whole thing, but something is holding him back. Top 3 to Top 8.

-----

3. TuGGa

Clan : Launch+

Character Used : Bryan

Achievements

May 2nd place

Everyone thought this guy would easily claim the May VS championship but it took Soka to derail him. I've known this guy from when I first started out back in the TTT/T4 Era, everyone agreed he was the fastest rising talent in the scene at the time. His reactions, technique and throw breaking are exceptional, but his real strength comes from breaking down his opponent's patterns. I love watching his games, he's in the top 3 i reckon.

-----

4. =(wang)= frozen

Character Used : Wang

Achievements

April Top 8 Finish

Ah another bright spark in the scene, he just keeps improving faster and faster. Reliable sources on msn tell me he's whiffs much less and improved his punishing. Top 16 or Top 8.

-----

5. LonerDD

Clan : *bROz*

Character Used : Devil Jin?

Initially I thought he's just another guy on the forums, but i think last week I played a few games with him and I almost thought the bryan I was playing was Tugga -_- .. Then he sweeped me 3-0 with his paul.

So i must discard my initial assessment and say this guy could be either top 16 or top 8. I'm quite interested to see how he ranks among the already established players.

-----

6. Blindspot

Character Used : ?

One of the brand new players to the scene. What shocked me about this guy is that he's diving right into the tournaments. We'll have to see his results before making any further assessment.

-----

7. Dragon Chef

Clan : =DiSc=

Character Used : Law

One of the stronger new players, I can't say i've seen alot of his games, but I think I have a losing record vs his law. Could be top 16 or top 8. I remember he won a PSP tourney last year, beating out people like Evade, so worth keeping an eye out on him.

-----

8. EVADE

Clan : Launch+

Character Used : Heihachi, King, Devil Jin

Achievements

January Top 8 Finish
February 2nd Place
April Champion

One of the most famous players in the sg scene (although he is malaysian lol) and arguably the best player in the country. He was a big name back in the TTT days, having frequent wars with DEA and Fat. Then he traveled to NZ and made a name for himself there in that Tekken Scene.

Now in the T5 era, as the leader of Launch+, people recognize his trademark Heihachi, but he can use a hella lot of characters with just as much skill (I believe he won the april VS using King). One of the most talented players ever to play tekken in the region. Top 3 easily.

-----

9. Shiks

Character Used : Julia

Achievements

May Top 8 Finish

Last VS, she took out a whole bunch of players to get a top 8 finish. She's probably going to take out a good bunch of players on saturday that's for sure. I reckon Top 16 or Top 8, she's got the experience and a killer Chang, though she may fall to the more regular players.

-----

10. Kumancu

Character Used : Lili

I'm sure he's improved alot since the 3v3, and he's received secret training with Rond, kazu and Noobkken so he must have upped his game. Won't make any predictions for him just yet.

-----

11. Keitaro15

Character Used : Lili

-----

12. CJ800

Clan : SGSB

Character Used : Eddy

-----

13. Exit

Character Used : ?

-----

14. gRoTeSquE

Clan : *bROz*

Character Used : Nina

Sorry guys, I haven't seen enough games to form any opinions. But I after the tourney I will make a recap.

-----

15. Mr. Kula

Clan : Launch+

Character Used : Xiaoyu

The Launch+ Rep for Indonesia is here to grace the occasion. I haven't seen him play in person but detailed msn reports reveal to me a pretty solid players that's been doing fairly well in casuals with his Xiaoyu. Based on these initial reports I would probably say Top 8 perhaps. Lookin' forward to chilling with the guy on Saturday.

-----

16. Chaoz

Character Used : Lili

It's great to have another visitor from overseas to participate. It really raises our scene's profile. Unfortunately Chaoz is an unknown quantity to me, so I can't give any opinions. From what I know about the philippines, it is a huge scene with tons of players, back in the early days of TTT there was a guy called VOS who was tearing heads apart so I don't really know what to expect lol.

-----

17. Skye

Clan :

Character Used : Devil Jin

I started out playing Tekken in the scene when T4 first came out but I gravitated more to playing TTT. I used to use king/armour king until I got raped badly meeting Tiger'sEye for the first time in Bugis. Eventually I switched to Mishimas after watching some Jang Iksu vids and have played mishimas ever since.

-----

18. Soh

Character Used : Devil Jin

lol, this guy is from my JC who I jio-ed to join the tourney. Just joining for fun, and helping out with the admin.

-----

19. Rond

Clan : =DiSc=

Character Used : Marduk, Feng or Bryan

Achievements

January 3rd Place
February Champion
April 3rd Place

Easily a Top 3 player in the country, and a strong contender to win the tournament. Rond's meteoric rise from the new batch of Tekken players is simply remarkable, he has excellent game sense and awareness, and his results in previous tournaments back up his skill no doubt. One thing amazing about Rond is that he can use a very wide range of characters with an almost equal skill level.

Reliable sources tell me that most top players are wary of his Feng most of all. Top 3 placing and with a very good chance of winning.

-----

20. Mystique

Character Used : Christie

I remember this guy as Azi's friend during the TTT days. Back then he used True Ogre and Eddy as a team. I don't think he played seriously then but now he's improved quite alot, much more game savvy. I was having difficulty playing with him last week, i think his gameplay has gone up a notch. I would predict top 16 or top 8.

-----

21. Shin

Clan : CHAOS

Character Used : Steve

Achievements

January 2nd Place
February 3rd Place
May 3rd Place

The former KOF master has no problems in the Tekken series, and is probably the current top Steve in the country. I first met Shin when he started out playing Tekken during the Tekken 4 era. Right from the start he established himself as a top player. He's no nonsense, he won't listen to all this cheapness talk, he'll just play to win and that's that. He's a real competitor.

As you can see from his past results, he always places very high but a tournament win has always eluded him and now with the field expanded to 32 players, does this weaken his chances or strengthen them? I think he has no problems getting a Top 8 place, or even a top 3 placing... or possibly win the whole thing.

-----

22. kazuhiko

Clan : =DiSc=

Character Used : Hwoarang

Achievements

January Champion
February Top 8
April 2nd Place

Probably the Top Hwoarang in Singapore. I know this guy is really good, he one of the top players in the country as well and I know he could make the top 3 for sure. However, if he's slumping it could be difficult, I think he is prone to "bad days" as evidenced by the 3v3 and Hwoarang isn't considered top tier am I right? Still, he's very very skilled and will probably place quite high, if not win. He's a former champion, what can I say?

-----

23. Huang Jun Li

Character Used : ?

-----

24. Wee Yang Lin

Character Used : ?

-----

25. Soh Kang Yang

Character Used : ?

Sorry guys, not sure who you people are. Will find out on Saturday!

-----

26. Trainman!

Character Used : Paul

I partnered the trainman during the most recent 3v3 along with Kumancu. Really nice guy, He knocked out a couple of jokers so I think if the brackets are favourable, he could advance towards top 16.

-----

27. Ghost Paul

Character Used : Paul

I keep hearing this guy's name on the forums all the time. Who is he?

-----

28. Evil of Spade

Clan : Evil

Character Used : ?

I gotta admit I don't know anything about the Evil Clan or any of their players, so I will use this tournament to see how they fare.

-----

29. Candyman

Clan : =DiSc=

Character Used : Steve

Achievements

May Top 8 Finish

Old school player from the TTT days. Now doing pretty well in the scene with a solid Steve. He got a Top 8 in the last tournament so he's no easy game for sure. As one of the more experienced players in the scene he'll have an edge over the new guys. I think a Top 16 or 8 is likely.

-----

30. Fat

Clan : =DiSc=

Character Used : Devil Jin, Steve

Along with Evade and DEA, Fat was one of the top players during the TTT era. I remember when I was a noob and first came onto the scene during the T4 days, there was a good deal of awe whenever Fat was sighted in the arcade, but he didn't play, I think he was playing War3 at the time (am I right?).

Now in the T5 era he's one of the main players in Disc and one of the top Devil Jins in the country. So I will predict a Top 8 finish, and he may well place higher.

-----

31. Chao Tar Roo

Clan : =DiSc=

Character Used : Roger Jr., Yoshimitsu

I reckon one of the stronger of the new batch of players. He's capable of beating top people but I think nerves get to him. I remember him knocking out Fat, and more recently beating the Penang Steve during some casuals. It's entirely possible that he'll knock out a few big names, which I'm predicting will happen but we'll have to see if he's steady enough to place high. Top 8 or 16.

-----

32. DEA

Character Used : ?

Let me introduce you to this guy, from what I know. He was one of the giants of the early TTT scene, along with Fat and Evade. This guy was wavedashing and ewgf'ing before any of us even picked up the game. I believe he was the one who originally mentored Tiger'sEye, so you can imagine how influential he was.

Since he hasn't been playing seriously, I don't expect him to place, but he's definitely a player you wanna check out. Oh, also a very controversial player in Tekken Singapore history

----

Skye's Predictions

1. Evade
2. Tugga
3. Rond

No comments: